*The Corn-and-Crab Chowder gave the option of using a pound of peeled and cooked shrimp instead of the crab meat and that is what I opted for (which was about a $12 difference in the cost of the meal).
I am, admittedly not a gourmet, but this meal turned out so good! It is definitely a "company meal"!
Garlic Cheddar Muffins
* from September/October 2007 Southern Lady magazine, page 70
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
¼ Cup Butter
¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Chives
1-½ teaspoons Minced Garlic
2 Cups Baking Mix
1 Cup Grated Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 Cup Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with olive oil.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add chives and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes; remove from heat and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine baking mix, cheese, garlic powder, and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk and butter mixture. Add buttermilk mixture to baking mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Let batter stand for 5 minutes.
- Evenly spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.
NOTE: I brushed on a bit of melted butter mixed with garlic before serving.
Corn-and-Crab Chowder*from October 2007 Southern Living, page 102
6 Bacon Slices
2 Celery Ribs, Diced
1 Medium-size Green Bell Pepper, Diced
1 Medium Onion, Diced
1 Jalapeño Pepper, Seeded and Diced
1 (32 oz) Container Chicken Broth
3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
3 Cups Fresh Corn Kernels (6 ears)
1 lb. Fresh Lump Crab Meat, Drained and Picked***
1 Cup Whipping Cream
¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
½ Teaspoon Salt
¼ Teaspoon Pepper
Garnish: Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch Oven. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute' celery and next 3 ingredients in hot drippings 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
- Whisk together broth and flour until smooth. Add to celery mixture. Stir in corn. Bring to boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Gently stir in crab meat (or shrimp) and next 4 ingredients; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve warm with crumbled bacon and oyster crackers. Garnish, if desired.
***1 lb. peeled cooked shrimp or chopped cooked chicken may be substituted.